Monday, January 26, 2009

Sensitivity Training Monster Jam Style

So maybe it wasn't such a good idea to point out the big white school bus in the middle of the field as soon as we sat down. Once the lights went red and the noise started for the introductions, Toby kinda lost it. I thought it was the 2 yr old being dragged up the aisle who was screaming "I don't wanna be here" or maybe TJ going into his famous fetal position (he can still get his knees all the way up to his chin) and plugging his ears that allowed Toby to decide he wanted to go home and SCREAM for his MOMMY! I tried to pacify him with food, ear plugs, or even a bribe of a toy - but he was hysterical and each time a truck revved he screamed louder. So we left. $70 total in parking, water, tickets, and ear plugs and I didn't see a single monster truck race. Once home he told Susan the reason - he didn't want to see the school bus get crashed . . . we'll see if he gets on his school bus tomorrow morning ;)














7 comments:

Laurel said...

Your mother's first thought. . ."No way would a four-year-old Eric have sat through a monster jam." Like father, like son.

Avis La Fin said...

Shame on monster jam for having a school bus being destroyed anyway!! Toby was right to protest!! Did he get on the bus the next day!! Your experience sounds like Dad's at Chuck E. Cheese!! Love You for being such a good dad and bringing him home where he felt safe!! Love You

Nichole Quintana said...

You're a good daddy! I would have ignored them and let the others around me get their $70 bucks worth!! Monster kids, monster trucks! Double feature!

Charlotte said...

Did you keep your cool? My husband might have burst a gasket if he had to leave before the fun really started.

Cire said...

Yes, he got on the bus this morning - he was worried it wasn't gonna show (because he thought it was wrecked by the monster trucks - but we'll never know what happened to THAT bus)

Nicole - rednecks scare me too much

Charlotte - I kept my cool (the ticket taker who let us out of the stadium said 'uh oh' when we walked out and Toby was screaming) . . . until we got back in the truck and we were alone and I let him know how sad TJ and I were (and he finally stopped screaming once he knew we were leaving and he was back in his booster seat WITH his seatbelt on)

Yes, mom, I know I wouldn't have made it; but my irrational fears coupled with Susan's stubborness made it so Toby wouldn't just give in and stop crying . . . hopefully the stubborness will serve him well once he outgrows the fears (like I have) :)

Laurel said...

I hesitate to let you lay all blame for stubborness at the feet of your lovely wife. I remember well the first day of 1st grade when you locked me out of the car and yourself in for what seemed like hours.

Cire said...

I may have to start moderating my comments . . .