Sunday, December 16, 2007

3 Boys and a Truck

I can remember two trips as a kid up Four Peaks Northeast of Mesa. One was in the 1980 Buick Century station wagon and the other in the 1970 VW bug. The memorable part of BOTH was HOW we made the trip - once on the dirt road we "flew" like superman by holding onto the luggage rack of the station wagon or we stood on the running boards of the VW while holding onto the car through the sunroof. I offered to TJ that he could stand on the nerf bars of the truck and hold onto the truck through the window, but he didn't want to (he also kept his seat belt securely fastened, his eyes on the road ahead, and let me know that he was focusing on his breathing). So, I decided to treat more like the Baja 1000 and drove the trail faster than either the station wagon or bug would've been able to go without bottoming out or skidding off the road. We also didn't bring a .22 like I got to do with my dad and brothers (and sister? I don't remember) - but I think it would be a good idea for next time we go! One of my first intentions when buying the 4x4 truck was to go up the 4 peaks road - but this was the first time, more than 6 1/2 years later, that I've gone up the trail. It was a blast and we even kept up with the Rangers, Arctic Cats, quads, and dirt bikes going up the mountain. One of them commented once we got to the top, in the snow, that it looked like we were alot warmer than they were on the trip up. I think the main reason for going all out with quads and stuff is so that more people can drive - because when driving you don't get motion sickness, but I remember (and TJ and Toby reminded me with their green faces) as a passenger feeling pretty woozy after the trip. Just let me know if anyone wants to go with next time!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Looks like fun and I'm glad that you found snow. I hope that Toby's stomach is feeling better.

Susan said...

FYI, if I hear about my boys "flying" like Superman, you're gonna be in big trouble.